Last week, we looked at solving some simple logic puzzles. This week, the logic puzzle is quite a bit more involved — I hope you enjoy it!
Six logical friends — Arlen, Boris, Cecil, Doran, Edith, and Frank — having just finished some pretty hairy logic problems, decided to go to Wacky Jack’s Primo Ice Cream Emporium to celebrate. Each ordered their ice cream in a waffle cone or a dish, except for the one who ordered the Slurp-A-Licious Bucket-O-Yum — a delectable concoction with two scoops each of Jack’s five Specialty Flavors — in which case it came in a commemorative Wacky Jack Bucket (which you got to keep if you ate it all). From the following clues, can you decide who ordered what? Note: All solvers made their selections from Jack’s five Specialty Flavors: Blueberry Farkle, Chocolate Smudge, Marshmallow Whoop, Pecan Passion, and Peppermint Blast. For the cones, you must specify the order of the scoops.
- No cone had more than three scoops of ice cream, and no dish had more than five.
- Except for the problem solver who got the Slurp-A-Licious Bucket-O-Yum, no one got more than one scoop of the same flavor.
- The number of scoops in Edith’s dish was the same as the sum of the numbers of scoops in Arlen’s and Cecil’s cones.
- Cecil and Edith together had the same number of scoops as Arlen and Frank together.
- If Frank had an even number of scoops, then there were 23 scoops among the six solvers.
- If Frank had an odd number of scoops, then there were 25 scoops among the six solvers.
- If Boris had an odd number of scoops, then Edith had an even number.
- Boris had fewer scoops than Doran.
- Exactly two solvers had exactly three scoops of ice cream.
- Frank ordered a dish if and only if Boris ordered a cone.
- Arlen had three scoops of ice cream if and only if no two cones had the same number of scoops.
- Exactly four solvers had Marshmallow Whoop, exactly four had Pecan Passion, and exactly two had both.
- Either Arlen’s flavors were a subset of Edith’s, or Frank’s were a subset of Cecil’s.
- Frank did not order Pecan Passion, and Cecil did not order Marshmallow Whoop.
- If Cecil ordered just one scoop, then Arlen ordered Pecan Passion.
- Boris and Doran were the only two to order Peppermint Blast.
- Arlen and Frank had no flavors in common if and only if Boris and Frank had exactly one flavor in common.
- Two cones had a scoop of Chocolate Smudge second from the top.
- Frank had exactly two scoops if and only if Pecan Passion was always the bottom scoop of the cone it was on.
One thought on “Logic Puzzles II”